How to Block Websites on Chrome Desktop
The easiest way to block websites on Chrome is by using an extension, such as Block Site. There’s a lot of website blockers available on Chrome, but Block Site is the most widely-used and most stable out of all these extensions.
According to Block Site’s description, it is a self-control app that helps users control their browsing content by blocking apps and websites. The extension is free, but you can purchase in-app products to access more features.
To use Block Site, you can download it from the Chrome web store or from the app’s developer website.
Here are the instructions on how to install Block Site on Google Chrome:
1 Download a copy of the extension from the web store or the app’s website.
2 Click on the Add to Chrome button beside Block Site.
3 A confirmation message will pop up confirming if you want to add the website blocker to the web browser. The message warns that the extension will be able to read and change all the data on the websites that the user visits. If you’re ok with everything and you want to proceed, click Add extension.
4 Once you’ve added the extension, a new tab will open where you need to grant access to information on the websites that you visit. This would ensure that Block Site will be able to detect and block pages with adult content or other content you don’t want to access.
5 Click on the Agree button to proceed. You should now see a new icon appear on the toolbar at the top of your Chrome browser. It looks like an orange shield with a circle inside and a diagonal line through the middle. The presence of this icon confirms that the extension has been installed.
6 After installing the Block Site extension, the settings page will directly open where you can specify which websites you want to add to your list.
7 Type in the URL of the website you want to block, then click the Add button (+) found at the extreme right of the URL field.
8 You should now see the website under Blocked Sites. To remove the website from the list, just click on the (-) button.
9 If you’re not sure about the URL of the website you want to block or it is too long to type, you can simply visit it and block it using the Chrome extension.
10 If you want to block the website you are currently on, click on the extension at the top of the toolbar, then click the Block this site button. This would add the website to your Block sites list.
11 You can also enable Work Mode which blocks unwanted websites while the Work Mode timer is running. This means that the blocking function will only work when this mode is on and you can access the blocked websites when the mode is turned off.
Aside from blocking websites, you can also use Block Site to redirect users to a different URL when they try to visit any of the blocked websites. For example, when someone wants to go to Facebook.com, you can redirect them to your company website or other URL indicated on your redirect list.
How to Block Websites on Chrome Mobile (Android)
If you often use Chrome mobile to surf the internet on your mobile device, you might need to disable access to specific websites to ensure you don’t get distracted and that you increase your productivity throughout the day.
Blocking unwanted websites is also recommended to avoid malware that targets mobile devices. According to research conducted by Check Point last year, cyberattacks targeting smartphones and other mobile devices have increased by 50% compared to the previous year. The study correlates this sharp rise in mobile malware to the increased usage of mobile banking applications. Because of the many apps that users install on their mobile devices, they have become a rich target for cybercriminals looking to steal, not just financial data, but other sensitive data as well.
One of the easiest ways to avoid malware on mobile devices is to block websites that might be infected with malware or host applications that are bundled with adware or spyware.
Unfortunately, the Block Site’s mobile app version is no longer available for Android. However, there are plenty of other apps you can use to help you block specific websites on Chrome when you browse using your Android device.
Here are some of the options you can try:
- AppBlock – This productivity app allows you helps users to temporarily block distracting websites and applications temporarily on your mobile device. You can activate the app for a certain period of time, during school or work hours, for example, to properly manage mobile phone use. After the preset period has elapsed, you can use those blacklisted apps once again.
- BlockerX – This app is mainly a porn-blocker app, but can also be used to block specific websites that get you distracted. Just enter the domain name of the website you want to be blocked and the app will do the job for you. It can also block apps that are consuming too much of your time, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, WhatsApp, and others.
- Stay Focused – This is an app and website blocker that helps users restrict their usage of blocked apps or websites. It has an App Usage Tracker that lets you monitor how much time you’re spending on a website or an app. The App Blocker and Website Blocker features help you set limitations on the access of certain apps and websites on your phone. It can also block email notifications or other notification messages so you can stay focused on what you are doing.
- Freedom – This is another app and website blocker app that helps minimize distractions by blocking time-wasting apps and websites. Just select the apps and websites you want to block to start a Freedom session. During this session, you won’t be able to access those blocked apps and websites on your Android device. Plus, you can sync your block sessions to your Mac, Windows computer, and even iOS devices. There is no limit to the number of devices you can sync this with. Freedom offers free 7 blocking sessions, then you can upgrade it to the premium version for $29 per year.
- Safe Browser Parental Control and Websites Filter – The name of the app might be quite a mouthful, but it is useful nonetheless. This app allows kids to search and browse the internet safely, with its content filtering and website blocking features. You can create a blacklist or whitelist of all the websites that you want or don’t want the users to access on your mobile device.
Aside from the list of website blocking apps above, there are still a lot of other options on the Google Play Store. We just listed here some of the most popular website blockers for Android. For the purpose of this guide, we’ll show you how to install and use AppBlock on Android devices to avoid unwanted websites.
Follow these steps to download and install AppBlock on your Android mobile phone:
1. Launch the Google Play Store and install the AppBlock app. All Android devices come with a native app store, called Google Play Store. This is the marketplace where you can find all apps that you need for your Android device — both free and paid. Open the Google Play Store app and search for the AppBlock app (all one word), as shown below.
2. Open the downloaded AppBlock app.
3. Once you have this app downloaded, it will automatically be installed on your device. When it has finished downloading, click Open to launch the app.
4. Click the Get started button to start setting up the AppBlock app.
5. Click on Create profile, choose your blocking conditions according to Time, Location, Wi-Fi, Usage Limit, and Launch Count. For example, you can set the app to run from Monday to Friday, from 8AM to 5PM.
6. Click Save.
7. Choose which apps or websites you want to block by clicking the Select button.
8. On the Applications tab, tick off all the apps you want to block, then click Save.
9. On the Websites tab, add the URL of the websites you want to block, then hit the Save button.
10. Once you’ve added the items you want to block, you will see a summary of what will be blocked. This includes the application launch, app notifications, and websites. Turn the blocking feature on by dragging the slider to the on position.
11. Type in your Profile name, then click the Create button.
The app will then start to block apps and websites you have included in the session and this will run according to the schedule you specified.
How to Block Websites on iPhones and Other iOS Devices
Safari might be the default browser for iOS devices, but a lot of users still prefer Google Chrome. If you want to block websites on your iPhone’s Chrome browser, there are several apps that can help you achieve this. Here are some of the options you can try.
- Zero Willpower – This website blocking app may cost $1.99, but it lets you easily create a list of all websites you want to block from iPhone’s browser. It even has a timer you can use to block a website for a limited period of time. For example, you can block a specific website during work hours or when your kids use their iPads.
- Site Blocker – This app works similar to Zero Willpower, the only difference is that it is free. The Site Blocker feature allows you to block distracting or unwanted websites on your browser on an iOS device. It also includes a timer and some useful suggestions as well.
- Roadblock – This content blocker helps you control your web browsing experience by blocking annoying and unwanted content on your browser, while protecting your privacy and security at the same time. It also improves webpage loading time and reduces data usage. You can use Roadblock to block ads, pop- ups, social media buttons, scripts, and other unwanted elements. You can also block or whitelist websites. The app automatically syncs your preferences seamlessly across all devices, including iPhones, iPads, and Macs.
If you’re using Safari on your iOS device, there are also ways to block websites without using third-party apps. Here are the steps on how to block specific websites on Safari:
1. Open Settings from the home screen.
2. Tap on Screen Time. Make sure Screen Time is turned on on your device.
3. Tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
4. Tap Content Restrictions > Web Content.
5. Tap Limit Adult Websites.
6. Under NEVER ALLOW, tap Add a Website.
7. Type the URL of the website you want to block in the Website field.
8. Tap Done.
Rinse and repeat for every website that you want to block on your iOS device. If you want to block everything and allow certain websites only, tap Allowed Websites Only under Web Content, then add the URL of the website you want to allow.
How to Block Websites by Rooting or Jailbreaking Your Phone
You’ve probably heard how rooting or jailbreaking your mobile device can give you administrator access over your phone. These methods let users download apps and games that they normally won’t be able to install on their devices. Aside from this, users will also have access to the phone’s settings that typical users don’t have, such as blocking websites.
Rooting – This method involves modifying your Android mobile devices wherein users gain access to the root code of their phones. This allows the user to manage the device’s operating system and choose which websites the phone can or cannot visit.
Jailbreaking – This method is the equivalent of rooting on iOS devices. This is done on iPhones, iPads, and other iOS devices. Jailbreaking allows users to run and download software that Apple would normally block.
Rooting your Android phone or jailbreaking your iPhone might give you access to apps and features that are normally not available to regular users, but the risks that come with these processes are too great, especially if you have no idea what you’re doing. Plus, rooting and jailbreaking might also make your device more vulnerable to malicious malware.
Because of this, the apps you have installed or you want to download might become incompatible with your device and refuse to work on a rooted or jailbroken device. If you really want to block websites on your desktop computer or on your mobile device, you are better off choosing one of the options above.
Internet users spend a lot of time browsing on their devices, not just on desktop computers but on mobile devices as well. In fact, mobile usage has already outstripped desktop usage by a significant margin, all thanks to the increase in popularity of mobile devices. You can pretty much do most of your online activities on an Android or iOS mobile phone, including web browsing.
But if you want to prevent access to certain apps due to some reason, there are several ways you can block them on your browser or on the device itself. You can use a Chrome extension, download an app, or modify your phone’s settings to block these unwanted websites, depending on what works for you.