What Is TikTok?
TikTok is an app that is popular among the kids, the younger generation, and the young at heart. It’s loosely described as a social network for amateur clips, media, and videos.
A Chinese-owned social video-sharing app, TikTok allows users to shoot, edit, and upload 15-second clips loaded with music, animation, filters, and special effects. Like other social media apps, users can like, comment, and follow what they want to see. It is compatible with iOS and Android operating systems.
In case you’re familiar with Musical.ly, you’d be surprised to learn that it’s already long gone as it was absorbed by TikTok. Musical.ly was officially launched in 2014. Because of its fun and interactive features, the app immediately gained a wide userbase.
Three years later, the app was acquired by ByteDance, a media and tech company based in Beijing. At that time, the company already owned an app that we are all familiar with. Yes, that is TikTok.
Although both apps were equally popular, each of them reigned in various parts of the world. While Musical.ly was famous in the United States and European countries with more than 100 million active users per month, TikTok gained prominence in Asia with 500 million active users.
Eventually, ByteDance decided to bring the two apps together, explaining that the latter better reflects the breadth of content created on the company’s platform. All user accounts and videos on Musical.ly were then migrated to TikTok, marking the end of Musical.ly.
How to Delete a TikTok Account Permanently
TikTok is now going viral with lots of challenges and memes shared by users. But if you are not enjoying TikTok anymore or you simply have your reason for wanting to delete TikTok, simply follow the steps below. It is worth noting, though, that you won’t be able to recover your account once it is deleted. This means you can no longer access your video feed or in-app purchases. However, shared information such as chats and conversations with other users, might still be accessible to other users involved.
Moving forward, here’s how to delete your TikTok account permanently:
1. Open the TikTok app on your device.
2. Log in to your account.
3. Hover over the Me section.
4. Tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner of your screen.
5. Choose Manage My Account.
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap Delete Account.
7. Follow the on-screen prompts to continue with your TikTok account deletion.
Stay Safe and TikTok All Day!
We all love social media platforms like TikTok.
However, just as we enjoy this platform so much, so do hackers. For these cybercriminals, platforms like this are a never-ending source of personal information.
With almost everyone having an account on multiple social media platforms, hackers will always want to find vulnerabilities and loopholes they can take advantage of.
So, keep yourself protected while enjoying. How? Use reliable VPN services like the ones recommended by VPNWatch.
A VPN is a great tool that allows you to go TikTok-ing all day while not worrying about your online privacy and avoiding phishing scams.
So, whether it’s to protect yourself against these cybercriminals or keeping fraudulent activities at bay, it has become more important than ever to stay on the safe side. Use a VPN and TikTok all you want.
How to Create a TikTok Account on an Android Device
When you open TikTok for the first time, it won’t force you to create an account. Instead, it will display a feed of videos that you can watch and enjoy. Should you be interested in creating a TikTok account, just follow these steps:
1. Launch the TikTok app on your device. If you haven’t installed it yet, download it from the Play Store and install.
2. Assuming you already have the app open on your Android device, tap on any videos in your feed. This will open the sign-up form.
3. Select a sign-up option. You can use your Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Google account to create a TikTok account. Alternatively, you can tap the Sign up with phone or email option to use your phone number or email address to sign up for a TikTok account.
4. Enter your birthday and press Continue.
5. Choose whether you’d like to receive the confirmation message via email or text. If you want to receive the confirmation via email, enter your email address. Otherwise, input your phone number.
6. Tap Next.
7. Check your phone or email for the confirmation code. Enter it here to confirm your account creation.
8. Create a password for your new TikTok account.
9. Press Confirm to save it.
10. Tap on the I’m not a robot box to verify that you’re a human.
11. Once you’re verified, you will be taken to your home feed.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a TikTok account. But will the app stay for good, just like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram?
Will TikTok Stay for Good?
Since last year, TikTok’s user base in China has increased to 900 million active monthly users. To give you an idea of how huge that number is, that’s about three users for every 10 people in a room. Take note that it’s only for China.
Now that TikTok has become popular among Westerners, the app has already amassed over half a billion active monthly users all over the world, with about 80 million downloads in the United States alone.
Based on reports, ByteDance, the company behind TikTok, is already worth more than $75 billion, securing its spot as one of the world’s most valuable tech startups. Considering the high ambitions of the company, it seems that TikTok is here to stay and it won’t be slowing down anytime soon.
Who Uses TikTok?
Based on statistics, the biggest demographic of TikTok are users aged 24 and below. However, this does not mean that it’s kids and millennials who are the only ones allowed to join the trend. Many of the biggest Hollywood celebrities today, like Jimmy Fallon, Cardi B, Brittney Spears, Reese Witherspoon, and Kesha are already fully on board.