Before you go on and proceed to delete your Twitter account, you might be interested in knowing what Twitter actually does with your information. The moment you sign up for a Twitter account, you will be asked to provide basic information about yourself. You will be asked your name, birthday, address, email address, and phone number. You will also be prompted to create a username and password.
But did you know that aside from your basic information, Twitter also hosts other information about you, such as payment details, location information, and cookies? If you post a tweet that shares your physical location, the social media platform will have access to such information and store it. The same happens if you complete a transaction via Twitter. It will store your payment credentials, including your card number and billing address, for future use.
Now, what will Twitter do with all this information?
There are many ways that Twitter could use your information. The most obvious ones are probably advertising and selling your data to other companies. Based on the information you have provided, Twitter may show you targeted ads. Twitter may also sell your information to third parties or send it to government agencies when needed.
Now, you may ask, “Is it safe to use Twitter?”
Well, the answer is yes. However, you have to keep in mind that what you share on the platform may be viewed by people all over the world in an instant. Of course, you can always have fun. But be sure you stay vigilant, alert, and safe.
The Need to Delete Your Twitter Account
Yes, Twitter has significantly helped change the way we communicate with people, allowing us to connect and engage with people in real time and express our thoughts and opinions over matters.
And while it’s a fantastic tool, it can sometimes be draining, especially if you get involved in serious debates on controversial topics and discussions, particularly about politics.
In addition, the cyberbullying problem on Twitter is quite serious. It’s so bad that many critics are suggesting to put the website down. With all the conflicts and issues occurring on. Twitter, we wouldn’t be surprised if you decide to delete your Twitter account.
But do you really want to delete your Twitter account?
Before you do it, think carefully first. As with all the decisions you have to make, there are a few factors you need to take into consideration before you proceed to delete your Twitter account.
Consider who you converse with on Twitter.
Do you have other ways to communicate with them? If you want to stay in touch with these people but you have no other means of reaching out to them, it’s a good idea to keep your Twitter account active. Otherwise, find other ways to communicate with them.
Think about the benefits that you can get from Twitter.
Do you depend on this platform for news? Do you have other sources of reliable information should you decide to delete your account in the future?
Check if you have a backup of your files on Twitter.
Have you downloaded the photos you have uploaded on the platform? You might want to back them up first before deleting your account.
Speaking of Twitter file backups, did you know that you can actually download your Twitter archive? Yes, you’ve read that right. Read below to know how.
How to Delete Your Twitter Account
If you have already made up your mind and you’re ready to finally bid goodbye to your Twitter account, follow these steps below.
Using a Desktop Computer
You can deactivate your Twitter account using a desktop computer. Here’s how:
1. Visit https://twitter.com
2. Log in using your username and password.
3. Click on More.
4. Select Settings and Privacy.
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Deactivate my account option.
6. Read the information shown on the page and click Deactivate.
7. Confirm the deletion of your Twitter account by entering your password and clicking Deactivate Account.
8. At this point, you’ve already deleted your Twitter account for good.
Using an iOS Device
If you want to deactivate your Twitter account using your iOS device, simply follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Twitter app.
2. Tap on the profile icon and select Settings and Privacy.
3. Choose Deactivate your account.
4. Enter your account password and tap Deactivate.
Using an Android Device
Regardless of what Android device you are using, the steps below will deactivate your Twitter account:
1. Open the Twitter app.
2. Click on the profile icon.
3. Go to Settings and Privacy.
4. Select Account.
5. Tap on the Deactivate your account option.
6. Select Deactivate.
7. Enter your account password.
8. Tap Yes to confirm your account deactivation.
Your Twitter Account Is Now Deactivated!
By now, your Twitter account is already deactivated. If you want to delete your account permanently, do NOT log into it for at least 30 days.
How to Download Your Twitter Archive
Before you delete your Twitter account, download your Twitter archive first. This way, in case you feel sentimental, you can always look back to your files. Here’s how:
1. Open your favorite browser and visit https://twitter.com/.
2. Log in using your registered Twitter username and password.
3. In the upper-right corner of the page, click on your profile photo.
4. Choose Settings and Privacy.
5. Scroll down the list of options and select Request your archive.
6. Twitter will then notify you that it has received your request. You should then receive an email once your archive is ready for downloading.
7. Check your email for instructions on how to download your Twitter archive.