Deactivating Vs. Deleting
You are probably wondering what happens when you delete Snapchat account, right? When you decide to get rid of your Snapchat account, it’s not usually deleted immediately. Your account will first be deactivated for about one month. During this period, nobody can contact you through Snapchat. Snapchat gives you 30 days to decide whether you still want to delete your account or keep using it.
If you feel like you don’t want to do anything with this app, then you’ll just leave it to be deleted after 30 days. However, in case you change your mind, you can log in with your previous username and password during this period and reactivate the account. Reactivating it might take about 24 hours.
The good news is that Snapchat erases your account settings, chats, stories, location, and even device data after you delete the account. However, does it delete all the information? Keep reading to find out.
Downloading Your Data Before Deleting the Snapchat Account
Before you permanently cut ties with Snapchat, it is advised that you download your data. Some of the data that you can download includes your logins, search and snap history, profile data, account information, location, and a brief overview of your Snapchat friends. To download this data, you need a verified email address. Follow these steps to complete the download:
- Login to your Snapchat account and click on “My data.”
- Scroll down the page and click on “Submit request.”
- You will receive an email from Snapchat with a link to download the data.
- Follow the link and download your account data. The data will be sent in a ZIP file named “My data.”
After downloading, the data will not be sent immediately. Therefore, do not delete the account first because if you do, then Snapchat won’t send your data.
How to Permanently Delete Snapchat Account on Your Computer
To delete the account using your PC, follow these steps:
1. Visit https://accounts.snapchat.com. This link should lead you to the exact page you need to delete your Snapchat account.
2. You will be asked to enter your username and password before proceeding.
3. Click on continue, and your account will be permanently deleted after one month.
How to Delete Snapchat Account On iPhone Or Android
1. Open the Snapchat app on your phone and log in.
2 At the top left corner, you’ll see your avatar. Click on it.
3. Click on the gear icon at the top right side.
4. Under the support section, choose the help center option.
5. Tap the “My account and security” option, then choose account information. There, you’ll see the Delete my Snapchat button.
6. Enter your username and password to finally delete the account.
Why delete my Snapchat account?
Snapchat is renown for being very entertaining, which has helped it gain popularity since it was launched in 2011. One thing that every social media user wants today is privacy. Recently, critical data belonging to millions of Facebook users was harvested illegally.
Many Snapchat users were waiting to hear if Snap Inc. would say how it was ready to ensure the same thing does not happen to their data. Last year, Snapchat introduced several features, one of which was App stories. This feature allows you to share any of your content from Snapchat to other apps like Facebook.
Snapchat, allowing people to share their content freely like that, poses a huge privacy concern. Most users are afraid that if another scandal happened to Facebook, their data would also be on the line since the two seem to be collaborating. Therefore, using Snapchat might be fun, but could also pose a huge privacy risk to your crucial data.
Although Snapchat promises to get rid of all your account information after you delete the account, it actually retains some. Here is the information that it keeps:
- The details or information obtained when you were using the account such as your logs, and location and anything you entered willingly on Snapchat.
- Information from any third parties such as other people’s contact lists, advertisers, and other linked applications.
Some previous leaks revealed that Snapchat shares this information with its sister companies, business partners, or other interested parties when asked to do so by law. Also, it might use the data for personal reasons like ad-targeting. If you are in love with Snapchat and you don’t feel like deleting it just yet, then there is a solution for you. Look for a high-quality VPN. Having a professional VPN will help you stay safe both on Snapchat and when browsing the internet as it protects you from hackers.
Snapchat is a very interesting app as it has many entertaining features that you can use, especially if you love taking cool photos and chatting. However, this app might not be the best out there when it comes to privacy and also faces huge competition from Instagram. This article has all the information you need to help you delete your account without much hassle. Therefore, go through it to see which method is more suitable for you, depending on your device.